Eat Beef! (it's good for your hair)
So I see this headline on Yahoo News about information on a diet for hair. Now, I've always had problems with my hair--and lost quite a bit of it over the years due to all the health problems I've had. Lately, though, since I've been watching the allergens, it's been coming back. And, wanting to improve things, I fell for Yahoo's lure and cliked the info...
The the hair diet story at Yahoo heath mentions eating iron-rich protein: all kinds of meats including beef, lamb and veal...
Funny thing is, we're often told not to eat beef. and lamb and veal are about as politically incorrect as you can get when you're talking about meats.
As a matter of fact, I'm amazed how much a healthy hair diet relies on meat. Frankly, that's fine by me. Meat's one of the few things I don't seem to have an allergy to. So, yes, I enjoy some lamb chops and spinach and rice for dinner. That's one of the best dinners I can think of (when I can find nice lamb chops, that is.)
I sometimes wonder about all the blanket health advice that's doled out--about what to eat and not eat when it comes to unprocessed whole foods like meats. I'm bothered by all the engineered foods that are out there. Foods that are loaded with stuff we really don't need, and have no clue as to its orgins. Naturally, I like eating a nice piece of meat and fish, with a good fresh vegetable. All that "helper" and "quick" stuff my poor aging body just cannot handle. So, I think that maybe, for me, I should just ignore a lot of that food advice, and just eat what my body can handle--which is mostly whole foods, very little engineered food, and meat and vegetables. Simple, wholesome diet.
Come to think of it, maybe that's the way lots of people should be eating--and less engineered, overprocessed meal-in-a-box type stuff.
The the hair diet story at Yahoo heath mentions eating iron-rich protein: all kinds of meats including beef, lamb and veal...
Funny thing is, we're often told not to eat beef. and lamb and veal are about as politically incorrect as you can get when you're talking about meats.
As a matter of fact, I'm amazed how much a healthy hair diet relies on meat. Frankly, that's fine by me. Meat's one of the few things I don't seem to have an allergy to. So, yes, I enjoy some lamb chops and spinach and rice for dinner. That's one of the best dinners I can think of (when I can find nice lamb chops, that is.)
I sometimes wonder about all the blanket health advice that's doled out--about what to eat and not eat when it comes to unprocessed whole foods like meats. I'm bothered by all the engineered foods that are out there. Foods that are loaded with stuff we really don't need, and have no clue as to its orgins. Naturally, I like eating a nice piece of meat and fish, with a good fresh vegetable. All that "helper" and "quick" stuff my poor aging body just cannot handle. So, I think that maybe, for me, I should just ignore a lot of that food advice, and just eat what my body can handle--which is mostly whole foods, very little engineered food, and meat and vegetables. Simple, wholesome diet.
Come to think of it, maybe that's the way lots of people should be eating--and less engineered, overprocessed meal-in-a-box type stuff.





2 Comments:
I have to say, ever since I was diagnosed last year with fairly severe anemia and started taking iron supplements and eating more red meat, my hair has been coming in more thickly. I also eat a lot more salmon, so maybe fish oil helps, too.
I noticed this because for years my hair was the one part of my body I had no (or at least few!) complaints about--thick and wavy. Then I had to take several years of meds for a chronic illness, and my hair thinned into fineness. After I hit remission and stopped taking the meds a few years ago, it slowly recovered, but this past year it's into overdrive. Even the color looks good (undyed).
So I don't know if it was the meat, the fish, the iron pills, or a combination of the above, but something is sure helping. (And I confess to a liking for lamb chops, too--especially from Tango in Arlington!)
Hi alison! it's probably a combination of the pills, the change of diet, and no more meds that's helped your hair immensley...and it's so good to hear :-)
I know that mine's changed since I cut the known allergens out of my diet. Ran into a guy I hadn't seen in close to six months, who looked at me and said "wow...your hair...you look great." He's 10 yrs younger than me, so when a younger man totally re-assesses you, then says "wait, I have to take a picture" something must be going right
Would love to try the lamb chops at Tango at sometime :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home