The Eye of the Beholder
(If you're here from a link from another blog, check out my current entries here)
As the old saw goes: You can't judge a book by its cover.
But most of us know that you can indeed judge a book after reading the first couple of paragraphs.
So, too, it seems with blogs.
I recently left a comment on the BlogHer site on the on-going debate of whether or notwomen should change the rules by which blogs are linked and ranked--because even though we represent a sizeable portion of those who blog (bet. 43 and 56 percent) we are rarely represented in media, are not as widely linked as male bloggers, and even though Dave Sifry says that the tail wags the dog in blog stats, women are nowhere to be counted among the "A-list" bloggers.
But, my sense is that if women want to have higher profiles, we have to be less judgemental of one another's blogs and be far more link-friendly than men....
In my relatively short time blogging, I've heard a number of things about my blog: that I'm too personal, not polemic enough, that I'm not a "citizen journalist,"....but rarely has anyone ever said my writing stank. So, while I'm a good writer, I don't seem to be fitting into neat little categories that some people find necessary to fit bloggers into before they have a reason to link to them.
Okay, maybe this has to do with the blogger desiring to project a certain image and that my blog just does not fit that particular image. Maybe it has something to do with buzz or conversation, I don't know. But I do know that it makes me feel like the girl in high school gym class who's wearing granny panties rather than a thong.
Yet, as I stated in my comment, I wonder what it is that makes male bloggers link to other male bloggers. Is it really an old boy's network, or is it just that because they are less personal in their blogging than women, and, in their eyes, less like the teen-age girls of Livejournal, are they qualitatively better bloggers?
I don't know....it will be very interesting to hear the comments this weekend. And to see if we can change anything
As the old saw goes: You can't judge a book by its cover.
But most of us know that you can indeed judge a book after reading the first couple of paragraphs.
So, too, it seems with blogs.
I recently left a comment on the BlogHer site on the on-going debate of whether or notwomen should change the rules by which blogs are linked and ranked--because even though we represent a sizeable portion of those who blog (bet. 43 and 56 percent) we are rarely represented in media, are not as widely linked as male bloggers, and even though Dave Sifry says that the tail wags the dog in blog stats, women are nowhere to be counted among the "A-list" bloggers.
But, my sense is that if women want to have higher profiles, we have to be less judgemental of one another's blogs and be far more link-friendly than men....
There is also the big problem of women mentoring other women. There is a nasty competitiveness among women--young/old, single/married, kids/ no kids, uppercrust/lowerclass--that, no matter how much lip-service we give it, doesn't seem to go away. Often, we are our own wost enemies.
Think about how we perceive one another as bloggers. Do we diss one blog as being "too personal" while touting another because we think it's "more political"? Or do we not link to others in keeping with a personal philosophy re how we want our own blog to be received/perceived?
And, is this the way that male bloggers perceive one another? Some male bloggers specifically eschew the personal in favor of punditry--how many of the A-listers talk about their personal lives in a personal manner? And, does the dogfight nature of A-lister political blogging work to eclipse more thoughtful political commentary (done by those other than Andrew Sullivan)?
In my relatively short time blogging, I've heard a number of things about my blog: that I'm too personal, not polemic enough, that I'm not a "citizen journalist,"....but rarely has anyone ever said my writing stank. So, while I'm a good writer, I don't seem to be fitting into neat little categories that some people find necessary to fit bloggers into before they have a reason to link to them.
Okay, maybe this has to do with the blogger desiring to project a certain image and that my blog just does not fit that particular image. Maybe it has something to do with buzz or conversation, I don't know. But I do know that it makes me feel like the girl in high school gym class who's wearing granny panties rather than a thong.
Yet, as I stated in my comment, I wonder what it is that makes male bloggers link to other male bloggers. Is it really an old boy's network, or is it just that because they are less personal in their blogging than women, and, in their eyes, less like the teen-age girls of Livejournal, are they qualitatively better bloggers?
I don't know....it will be very interesting to hear the comments this weekend. And to see if we can change anything
10 Comments:
Thank you for this entry... I've been stalking your blog for about a week trying to determine if I want to ad you to my daily blogroll... and you've really made me stop and think about my linking habits. I will strive to not worry about it in the future and just link if I like it. :)
Thanks!
M
Oh... and you're totally being linked! Any blog that makes me think definitely gets on the daily read list!
Hi M!
Thanks for the link! I'm a huge believer in cross-linking, so I'm posting a link to your blog from mine.
BTW, even though I don't write much about it, I crochet. Given that most of my friends are getting pregnant, I've been making a slew of baby blankets and booties.
Some people have a bit of trouble reconciling the lady with her glasses on her nose who crochets baby booties and the one you see in the picture. I tell them that I'm simply a well-rounded person :-)
Well rounded is good. I knit to New Metal music. haha One of my very favorite games is making people challenge their assumptions. When they see you knitting, they assume you're very unhip and all granny like, but it really messes with their heads when you set down your knitting to go dance like a maniac at a punk concert. Always mess with their minds ;)
Oh, we are *so* on the same wavelength with that one!
Several years ago, when I moved into my apartment, my friend Ruth and a couple of others helped. Sure, they expected the whips and chains (I was a *bit* wilder than now), but they didn't expect to see the neat little stand of yarn and doilies.
I think it was the doilies that got them.
I don't really know anything about blogging or blogging etiquette. I guess I'm not really a "blogger" since I just use my blog to post a writing project rather than commentary.
On links: I link to anything I find interesting (like Tish's blog). If anyone links to me, I link back.
On knitting: knitting was trendy a few years ago with the hipsters. There was a knitting club at my college. Occasionally you'd see a girl with tattoos and a lip ring knitting away on the lawn.
My feelings about blogs are that blogs should be for whatever we want them to be...and if there are those of us who worry about linking and an A-list and that kind of stuff, that's our thing. If you are not looking for that, then that's good and important, too. But the criteria for a relavent or significant blog should not be that the blog is written *only* on a topic/subject or in a style that is male-oriented.
Many men (not all) need to open up to the idea that someone can blog about her/his personal life *and* be an astute political/social commentator blogger. It's not an either/or proposition. As human beings, we have more than one side to our lives and while blogging lends itself to creating a personna by its limitation of words on the screen, blogs do not have to be narrowly topically oriented.
Alot of the link arguments also tend to forget that people use blogs for different reasons and that massive amounts of linking or attention aren't appropriate for all. Among some in the blogosphere, there is an all or nothing way of thinking about blogs--which I find annoying.
Our blogs are what we want them to be, and where we want to go with them is up to us :-)
As usual, well said Tish. I'm attempting to provide a service relating to computer related topics and at the same time I warn my readers you never know what you are gonna read in my blog except that it will be true and sometimes the facts are stranger than fiction.
Ya I'm still here lurking Tish, I really do enjoy reading your blog and a good 90% of the time I find you have portrayed how I feel on the subject pretty good.
___
blog.UberDragon.net
Hey UberDragon...I'm glad you're still there! What is most important about this blog is that it IS personal as much as it is anything else. It's funny, too, how my smaller blog has recently evloved and I know its purpose--it's not for community building in quite the same way this one is. I have a link to this blog, sure, but I also say on that blog that this is the personal blog and tread there at your own risk. And I don't think that alot of the stuff on that other blog would be of great interest to the readers (past, present and future) here.
Blogs are tools. what we do with them depends on what our intention is. I might never be a widely linked pundit, but I know that I'll have this community of amazing people over here.
Interesting. I don't take them (blogs)all that seriously -not to say that they aren't serious- but I use mine purely for entertainment and leisure purposes. I tend to be interested in reading other blogs that are along the lines of mine, because it's always fun to make new friends. Not to say I don't browse political forums or view blogs that are on a different vein than mine, because I do; but I tend to enjoy the purely social ones. I do have one that I use as a marketing tool for my business (beaconhillwine.blogspot.com for those of you interested.)
I haven't linked anyone to my personal site yet because aside from a very few people, I haven't made many "friends"; yet I wasn't aware that mutual linking was a habit/courtesy that involved etiquette and or was being judged.
Very interesting post! Thanks for the insight.....
One other interesting tidbit - I started off on one site, checked one of their links and have been bouncing off a variety of sites - and saw that you had posted on others as well. I didn't even realize this was your site, I don't even know how I stumbled upon it - but recognize you from other boards I do visit. :) Shows how small the world can be, even online!
Post a Comment
<< Home