Saturday, April 02, 2005

I got into a bit of a disagreement with a friend of mine yesterday. Brenda and I usually don't disagree on things...except when it comes to the idea that a woman can be empowered by sex industry work.

I know there are a bunch o' feminist tomes and learned essays that say how empowering sex work can be for women. How when they are taking money from men for sex, they are thumbing their noses at a perceived status quo that tells them what they can and cannot do with their sexualities...this status quo usually being the Patriarchy (not other women who might be passing value judgments either--oh, I forgot, women make those judgments because of the patriarchy and not just women's need to dis other women in order to capture an alpha male).

Then, there's some feminist stuff that says sex work is all spiritual or is a goddess-centered and valid way to make a living, or that sex workers are women who can process an excess of male energy---well, I've heard all these excuses and none of them quite wash. The idea of a "holy prostitute" as was configured in Ancient Greece is a concept that we, several thousand years of civilization later, cannot fully comprehend. And as for the whole male energy thing--well, I file that one under "Wifty New Age Stuff Not Proven or Shown In Any Science or Scholarly Work." In other words, it's a fine style but there's no substance.

Not to mention that these excuses never take into consideration the number of male sex workers that are out there.

Nor do these ways of thinking take into account how males acutally think about sex work. Oh, they pay alot of lip service and say that it's great that women express their sexualities in such a manner--just as long as it's not their women. Just as long as it's not their wives or daughters or cousins or their mother. Sex workers are always someone else's women, not the women of the man's personal clan.

Women tend to forget just how territiorial men are. And in their territorial natures, men can see things in black and white. Sex workers are The Other, or "foreigners." And it doesn't really matter what happens to foreigners--they are someone else's family and paying others for sex rather than their own makes the men feel that their families are superior. A man never thinks that his own women might be into sex work because it would mean that the man is degraded.

So, sex industry work is really not about women being empowered thru free sexual expression...it is about men being able to see the women of one group or family as less than the women of their own in order that they can use those "foreign" women for sexual gratification.

Kind of complicated, isn't it?

There is, though, more to the sex industry than this. The Sex Industry World occupies two spheres--the Sexual Glamourworld and the Sexual Underworld.

The Sexual Glamourworld is the world of Playboy and Penthouse....of $500 an hour escorts and pro-dommes, high paid porn actresses and dissolute heiresses...where all the johns are called Clients and are good-looking actors or athletes or beautiful boy-dilletants looking for fun.

There are never any nerds, skanky old guys, losers, wimps, or perverts. There's never anyone over 40.

All the women are stunningly, effortlessly, beautifully, pneumatically sexual-- and under the age of 30. Even if they really aren't.

It's a place where the Air is quite Rare and few reach those heights.

The Sexual Underworld is vast, and deep and dark. There's money to be made, for sure, but there is a price to be paid. It is where the performance of sex becomes more important than sex for love or for fun, and one can forget when to turn the performance off and be real. Sometimes one doesn't have the option of turning the performance off. It is where the acts of sex get bigger and grander and more perverse and the worker must be something like a trained athlete to perform those acts, on cue, when necessary with no emotion at all. She must learn to disassociate from her body to perform long enough to earn the Big Cash. It is where the competition for the handsome client can be far more fierce than it was for the captain of the football team in highschool--but only if he has beaucoup bucks. If he doesn't, than the old guy with the big wad will suffice.

It is where men are dollar signs and women are cunts or asses or mouths.

In its darkest parts, the Sexual Underworld is where women are traded like cattle, work for less than American minimum wage and in conditions that make sweatshops look like fun.

The average woman who goes out to seek empowerment thru sex work is more likely to find her way to the Sexual Underworld first--unless she groomed in a certain manner to gain entrance to the Sexual Glamourworld. But if she doesn't play her cards right in the Sexual Glamourworld, she could end up working in a "high class brothel."

But a brothel's a brothel....you're still not meeting Prince Charming... but you are definitely kissing alot of frogs....who've paid you not to refuse.

If you do not have the power to refuse, are you truly empowered?

So, while sex work isn't going away, women shouldn't necessarily lie to themselves about its realities. If a woman feels a need to go into sex work because there is some burning issue that compels her, or some curiosity about the darker natures of men (as was my reason) or some other Wester psychologically-based reason for doing so, then perhaps she should. But she should not hide behind faulty philosophy that considers Western women's sexual expression thru sex work a separate issue from men's opinions of sex work or from the fates of non-Western women trapped in sex work.

Women should always think of the Sex Industry's two Worlds and the natures of those worlds. The Sexual Glamourworld is like a big beautiful club, and there are gatekeepers more ruthless than those who used to prowl outside Stuido 54. The Sexual Underworld is like the club down the street, where the admission is high, but it will let anyone in. Just remember what Mom always said about going to clubs--look for the Exits and at the first sign of trouble, get out.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same Anonymous as always...

I think this is a narrow view, my friend. Let's compare it to alcohol, a product that kills a great many people every year. You have your good, functioning alcoholics and your bad, trainwreck alcoholics... but is that it? Or is there a class of people who enjoy alcohol and enjoy it safely and sanely?

Sex can be the same thing, and there's so much more to the sex world than the two areas you describe. It can empower women. Watching porn can turn on a long cold libido. It can help women to become comfortable with sex, with their bodies, with themselves. It can result in play, in laughter, in love. It's not all bad.

Now, in saying this, I am not suggesting there *isn't* a dark underworld out there. I give its reality all due respect. However, to suggest that sex work is demeaning and harmful to all women in it is itself demeaning to the women.

My body. My choice. No?

You know I love ya, sister. ;)

5:51 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

:)

Well, I'm not saying that porn can't have a positive effect on a woman's libido...as I said, if a woman feels she has a reason or need to delve into the sex industry then she should. I spent my year in it as a "freelance" outcall pro-domme because I had a boatload of questions about male sexuality and male submission that I wasn't getting any straight answers to. But, if a Western woman does this, should also be aware of the pitfalls of it--not just for herself but on a larger scale. Understand it, don't glamorize it, and take what you can from it.

and, it's kind of like having beer distributors sponsor college events where the majority of attendees would be under-age drinkers--I don't think that's such a great thing either.

But I also think that there are some big differences between sex work and alcohol...esp. in Third
World countries.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

As for the "my body, my choice" line of thinking, I think this is a Western conceit that a woman's body is always her own to deal with as she chooses. Maybe here but not necessarily, say, in Southeast Asia.

Aside from that, I also think, it may be your body, but are you also willing to experience changes to your mind and your spirit as well? The three are interconnected and the effects of choices like sex work change the entire organism. Can a woman deal with those changes?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Schizophelia said...

"If you do not have the power to refuse, are you truly empowered? "

This is by far one of the best one liners I have ever read with regard to women in the sex industry.

How many women truly choose to be whores? From all of the stories I've heard/read, this is rarely a choice and more like a last ditch effort to keep from starving to death. The exceptions are (from my experience), Annie Sprinkle, Lisa Carver, and Wendy Chapkiss. If anyone was wondering.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without disputing any of the points raised here, I still maintain that this is an incredibly narrow view. Sex isn't just about work in the sex industry. Porn has viewers as well as actors. Some of those viewers are women. Is there no upside here? No balanced argument?

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to me that sex industry work in the alternative papers in our area started exploding years ago when the economy was sucking and few were admitting it, back when the turn was made that the only new jobs coming onto the market were service industry.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

First, I did not think we were having a germaine discussion on sex. I believe the discussion was on the sex industry and its effects on women.

Do not paint me as anti-sex. Anon. That is hardly the case and you should know better than to engage in that sort of ad hominem accusation..

Frankly, it's pretty narrow to maintain that sex work is always empowering and that it does not have any ill effects--esp. on a global scale. That is a narrow, Westernized bourgeois view of sex and the sex industry...and it's highly capitalistic too. It is a view that maintains that if money is changing hands someone must be empowered somewhere--and that is not always the case.

Sex industry work has a physical, spiritual and psychological effect on its participants, both men and women. It is not what the media and shows like Real Sex claim it to be--it is NOT all fun and games and I do not believe that it is a bad think to say this. It does not make me Phyllis Schlafly or a card-carrying member of the Moral Majority because I refuse to buy a bunch of really faulty feminist rhetoric on the subject, which is then supported by a media that consistently gives faulty information regarding sex in general.

There is also another bit of feminist sex theory that you might want to consider-- the equally faulty feminist theory that says that all women who engage in sex that is out of the norm of sanctioned "loving" gentle sex must have been abused as children and need professional help...another piece of crappy feminist philosophy that has stifled women's sexual expression.

If you put this bit of feminist sex theory along with the empowerment via sex work theory, feminism talks out of both sides of its uppity, narrow-minded Western bourgeois mouth. On the one hand, feminism claims that sex work is empowering, yet on the other hand it claims that if you'd like to occasionally be tied up when having sex that you are a major pervert and must be mentally cleansed via psychotherapy (or, shall we say the Western version of Mao's re-education camps??)

So, in feminist thinking, you are only empowered if a man is giving you money to have sex with you, but if the man you love wants to get a little kinky then you need serious mental help...what's up with that????

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon said - "Now, in saying this, I am not suggesting there *isn't* a dark underworld out there. I give its reality all due respect."

And I still do.

I think there was a misunderstanding here. You were talking about one thing. I was talking about another. I did not completely miss your point. I got it. I heard it. I was making my own, which was not a contrary point. I was talking about porn in the widest possible sense - viewers and actors.

Wow.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

you know something, I love a really good shit storm of an intellectual argument. And I think we had one here!

Men often love to say that women don't know how to have intellectual arguments. Years ago, I learned from a bunch of ultra-conservative males how to have the type and kind of "masculine" style intellectual argument that we've engaged in here.

Somehow I feel terrifically invigorated and back on the intellectual beam.

I agree that there was a misunderstanding, but the misunderstanding helped raise some other issues regarding feminist thinking and sexual expression.

It's probably good for another shit-storm causing blog entry.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home