Tuesday, March 29, 2005
About Me

- Name: Tish Grier
- Location: Easthampton, Massachusetts, United States
Independent Online Journalist, Professional Blogger, Social Media Maven, Newbie Entrepreneur
- Disclaimer: Just in case you didn't figure it out yet, this is my personal blog. The views expressed here do not represent the views of anyone other than myself.
- Halley's Comment
- Starling Fitness
- BlogSisters
- I See Invisible People
- What's Cluttering My Couch?
- Man in Space
- Schizophelia Jones
- Have Coffee Will Write
- Shamash Says...
- Dancing on Colette's Grave
- Lady Calliah.com
- J. Sessum
- The Business of Life
- MimKnits.com
- Original Faith
- Caffinara
- Moon River
- Everything's SFNE
- I'm Just a Girl
- The New Charm School
- Stones in the Field
- NVNC ID VIDES< NVNC NE VIDES
- Recovery Vehicle
- BlogHer--women in blogging conference
Interesting Blogs and the People who Keep Them
Previous Posts
- Visiting Momma
- ...And Then I Realized I'm Normal....
- I think when I finally sit down and write a novel ...
- When Bad Rumors Happen to Good People
- The Tragic Life as Literary Device
- I love when people spend a long time reading my bl...
- "Lines You Don't Cross--Places You Don't Go"
- Why We Read Blogs--A Theory
- Back to Business.....
- Scary Stuff: Bush has named Paul Wolfowitz World ...


2 Comments:
HOW IS IT YOU CAME TO POST THIS PHOTO?
HOW DOES IT TOUCH YOUR SOUL?
HAVE YOU SEEN IT IN PERSON?
WHAT DID IT FEEL LIKE?
ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THE ARCHANGEL AZRAEL?
I don't quite remember why I posted this photo. I know it was during the time my mother was in the hospital, dying from a stroke...but I'm not sure if that was the reason why or not.
I haven't seen it in person, but I've been to the sculptor's home, Chesterwood, in the Berkshires. The artist was an interesting man--he also sculpeted the Lincoln Memorial.
I am indeed familiar with the Archangel Azarael--became quite familiar with Azarael during a very strange "mystical" period of my life (a time I don't talk all that much about these days--it was strange). Although I don't think this is a depiction of that Archangel.
This image touches me very profoundly. I am saddened by it--thinking of how so many are stopped in life from doing what we are meant to do. It could be by death, literally, or illness, or something else. I think of the young man this piece was sculpted for, how he was considered by the art world of the time, and how his contribution was cut short. I wonder how may others contributions are cut short not just by death, but by so many other life circumstances.
I also think of its beauty, and how there is beauty even in death. I think of how, nowadays, consider this kind of art "decorative" and "old fashioned" and do not see its beauty. because of this, we no longer understand the visual metaphors in a work like this. And, in a time of image-saturation, to not understand metaphor in imagery can only do us more harm than good.
Post a Comment
<< Home