Saturday, August 27, 2005

When is a Fetish Not a Fetish?

I once had a conversation with a guy who said he had a Catwoman fetish.

He was totally serious.

Knowing a thing or two about fetishes, I never heard of this one--although fetishes can be as unique as the men who profess to have them. Curiously, I asked him why, specifically, Catwoman--was it the shredded leather costume Halle Berry wore in the movie? Did it have anything to do with Julie Newmar or was it Michelle Pfeiffer in black vinyl? Was it the idea of a statuesque woman towering over him, and he on his knees in fear and trembling?

Or, stranger yet, had he watched one too many episodes of CSI and, as a result, want me to dress up in a big, furry costume, call myself Miss Purrfect,or something of that sort, and skritch him in a furpile?

His reasons were very simple and pretty normal, as far as nascent fetishists go. The particular Catwoman of his fascination was the comic book vixen--masked, raven-haired, wearing a purple spandex catsuit and black stiletto boots. He had a long fascination with comic books, starting in childhood and loved the character. She was, in his mind, the ultimate rebel, and used her stiletto boots to stomp on the male status quo embodied in somber, midnight blue and gray-clad Batman. His Catwoman wasn't a feminist, but she was the ultimate female--and this perfect personification had nothing to do with Berry or Pfeiffer. But it did with Julie Newmar. He thought she came closest to the Catwoman ideal.

As a matter of fact, he continued, he found Halle Berry's portrayal, and the movie overall, to be the antithesis of anything truly Catwoman-like.

I was relieved that his fetish had nothing to do with a big, furry, mascot-style catsuit.

Still, I wondered why he believed his particular interest in Catwoman constituted a fetish. It what he described didn't really qualify his fascination for the psychology-textbook definition of a fetish.

Finally, I got it out of him--it wasn't really a fetish per se. He just wanted to have a woman dressed like Catwoman do him with a strap-on.

Now, that's more of a fantasy then a fetish. But, quite often, people confuse the two concepts. That's not really a surprise. The ideas and images surrounding various sexual practices that can be quantified as kinky, including fetishism, have crept slowly into the mainstream media over the past fifteen years. Episodes of Roseanne (where her mother appeared in a dominatrix costume and Roseanne herself kissed a girl) and ER (medical fetishist looking for a catheterization and an adult baby) were more than likely the first highly rated shows to hint at sexual fetishism. Since then, CSI, with its cavalcade of dominatrices, furries,transvestites and even an adult baby, has been the showcase of kink on TV, with Desperate Housewives highlighting what might happen when happy hubby's bigtime secret comes home to roost.

Not to mention a plethora of videos from bands ranging from overtly sadomasochistic Nine Inch Nails to little Britney Spears that at various times employ fetishistic imagery--sometimes without any connection to the song being sung.

Is it then any wonder why some guy who has dreamed about a comic book character since puberty would think that his fervid sexual fantasies constituted a down and dirty sexual fetish?

Sexual fetishism is more complicated than television or videos have time to depict, and is far different from sexual fantasy (although many fetishists fantasize about their particular fetishes.) For starters, a fetishist doesn't necessarily need another person to get off. More often, what he needs is an inanimate object. Women's shoes are the most common, but there are others--latex gloves, women's lingerie, medical equipment, various leather items, to name just a few.

However, if the guy is wearing women's shoes or lingerie, he's not a necessarily a fetishist--he's a transvestite. Transvestites can have fetishes, but simply wanting to dress in women's clothes is not a fetish in and of itself.

Fetishists are predominantly male, and their most common mode of sexual gratification is often auto-eroticism. So, when a woman says she has a shoe fetish, unless she's doing something funky with her Manolos all by herself behind closed doors, she's just an obsessed shoe collector. She's certainly not a shoe fetishist in the proper sense.

Unless she can have sex only when she's wearing her Manolos. Stranger things have happened.

From time to time, sexual fetishes involve other people, but usually only for a particular body part--the individual person who embodies the fetish is objectified. Now, if a guy says he has an ass fetish, it could mean that he loves women's asses more than any other part of women's bodies. Most of the time though the self-professed ass fetishist is really just an ass admirer. He can, if he wants, fall in love with the woman with the perfect ass.


However, if he never develops an attachment to the individual who poseses the desired ass, and never thinks of penetration, but of only rubbing his member over the desired ass, then he crosses the line from ass admirer to ass fetishist.

Once, when I was at the mall, I overheard a high-school aged chickie talk about buying a cheerleader costume to satisfy her high-school boyfriend's cheerleader fetish, I almost fell over laughing. I'll concede that maybe he wanted her to dress up like a cheerleader because he feared rejection from the cheerleaders he knew at school, but I don't think he was looking to have her stand there while he jacked off.

Then again, I'm not in their bedroom.

There are fine lines between collectors, admirers, fantisizers, and fetishists. The fetishist differ from the others in that the fetishist carries doubts about his masculinity in relation to women. He deeply fears rejection and humiliation. So, rather than risk developing sexual relationships with women, where he may be rejected for a perceived inadequacy, he chooses inanimate objects. His mastery over the inanimate object alleviates his sexual frustration as well as his feelings of inadequacy, and protects him from rejection and humiliation. The thinking goes: if he can master and control objects that represent women, he can shore up his perception of himself as a man.

Sometimes a fetishist just can't get enough. He might do volunteer work or take on a job where he is in constant contact with the object of his fetish--the same way an obsessed non-fetishist might stalk a lover. Although a guy's more likely to get arrested for repeatedly showing up at a lover's job than he is for putting in overtime at his job down at the shoe store.

Which brings me back to the Catwoman-guy. I got it out of him that he really didnÂ’t need a woman in a Catwoman costume to get off--or, necessarily, to do him with strap on. And he wasn't working in a comic book store, practicing frotteurism with a standee either. So, he wasn't a fetishist, but trying to convince him of that would be impossible. When someone wholeheartedly believe his sexuality is a bit outre, it's hard to convince him otherwise.

With Catwoman-guy, rather than try to change his mind, I simply told him I'm not as tall as Julie Newmar and, therefore, I wasn't the girl for him. That, he could accept.


tag:

(note: if this piece looks familiar, it's because it's been transferred from another recently terminated blog.)

6 Comments:

Blogger The Paradoxical Pariah said...

I wonder too, if the fact that fettishests tend to be men because of our cultural insistence that a man not be as verbal or as expressive of his fears. Men are taught early on that anger or sexual aggression are acceptable while grief, abandonment and fear are not.
Fettishes, to my understanding, seem to point toward some unfulfilled emotional void or scar created early in life. If this is so, the need for fettishism could be curbed by teaching our males to be accepting and expressive of the feelings they are uncomfortable with.
Yes?
No?
I find it intriguing from a psycological stand point.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Although I completely understand the difference between fetish and fancy - your post shows how liberally we use words in the english language. Like your "woman w/ a shoe fetish" example. My absolute favorite words that I tend to use and abuse in that same vein are "obsess..." (I'm addicted/obsessed with Lip Fusion); and stalk. My friends and I always use that term when talking about a friend that might call more than once, maybe a co worker who's a little "too anxiously" awaiting for an answer after I told him I'd get back to him, you know what I mean? I'd say to another co worker:
God, he's suoh a stalker!" or "I'm not answering my phone, Jeff is stalking me.."

I think you're right that most men probably don't understand the difference between fetish and fantasy... and maybe in some weird way they think it's "cooler" to fetish-ize than fantasize....?

5:58 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

Hi C & R...

Fetishes and fetishistic sexuality (and s/m for that matter) have been around for a very long time. I'm not sure that it has to do completely with nurture, but that it might be a combination of nurture *and* nature. There really hasn't been enough research on sexual development, and we kind of assume that hormones and all that work perfectly in everybody. Fetishes can be a response to different kinds of sexual frustration--they are a means of alleviating anxiety. Where the anxiety comes from, though, probably varies with the individual.

But I strongly feel that, nowadays, we over-use certain words (like Rebecca noticed). We like to over-emphasize. That's what has happened with fetishism and s/m. Alot of people like to believe they have an alternative sexuality just so they can think of themselves as 'cool' somehow--because they don't seem to be 'cool' anywhere else in their lives and don't want to miss some imagined party that's out there. But the thing is s/m (fetisism being part of it) is an old, old subculture that has little to do with pop-culture notions of 'cool'...and I get seriously pissy with people who think it all has to do with some stupid Nine Inch Nails video and their angst-riddled loser adolescence. So, what ends up happening is women think they're "submissive" when they're not and men think they have "fetishes" when they don't. But y'all should see the sad little dejected kid looks on people's faces when you tell them that they're really only "spicy vanillas" and that lots and lots of people play power games in their initmate relationships and that this doesn't constitute s/m. I always feel like I've robbed some kid of his/her candy. Oh, well ;-)

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I arrived at this blog after Googling "reasons for developing fetishes". This post was very intelligent and exactly the type of information I wanted to be able to ponder. I've been with this guy for 8 months now. I've enjoyed his company immensely, we only have sex a couple of times a month and it's always been fun and satisfying. He has introduced his particular fetish slowly, a bit at a time (tall and long boots and gloves, of leather mostly, for me, but now he likes to have gloves on, too. He likes me to wear several layers of lingerie that rarely come all the way off. A new element is suggested each time and so far I've been okay with it especially since it's not every time but it's getting a little boring and a little creepy, too. The lack of much emphasis at all on penetration and virtually no interest on his part at all in my skin, hair or body - it's what's covering it that matters. Now it makes sense. The fear of rejection etc. It all fits. Sigh. I'm feeling a bit like, "yuk" right now but more comfortable by far with feeling uncomfortable. I think it's time for me to move on now.
Thanks.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Tish Grier said...

you're very welcome! I'm glad that all the crazy stuff I've learned over the years has been able to help you understand a situation that makes you uncomfortable.

And, if all that stuff isn't your "cup of tea," you certainly have the right to get out of the situation. I'm sure there will be someone else for each of you.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I located this link when I did a search for 'Catwoman Fetish'. I have to agree that this person does not have a fetish for Catwoman. I unfortunately do have a fetish for catwoman. It started out as just a fascination of the catwoman image, tho I never did anything like masturbating to one of her pictures or anything like that.
I used to collect comic books and while I wasn't really into the character herself, I always liked the costumes she wore and would find myself somewhat aroused by certain pics, tho I don't remember ever acting on that arousal.
I had also searched the internet for pics of catwoman and found people who had dressed like her for Halloween or other occasions.
Later I was watching Batman Returns and found myself wondering what it felt like to be wearing a costume so skin tight and pretty much all-encompasing of ones body.
It wasn't long before I was on Ebay ordering my own Catwoman costume. My first costume was very close to what Michelle Pfeifer wore int he Batman Returns movie.
Since that time, I've bought approx. 10 variations of the Catwoman costume and I wear one of them just about every day.
I have found that I am unable to gratify myself unless I am wearing the costume. I don't have problems when I am physically with a woman but when I try to pleasure myself, I must be in full costume, wearing the thi high boots, size DD breast forms and some bright lipstick. One woman allowed me to wear my Catwoman costume while we had sex. It was quite an exciting experience for me. The woman I was with said she enjoyed the sex part but she neither gained or lost any enjoyment by the fact that I was wearing the costume.
I think I can honestly say that Catwoman has become my fetish. If you have any questions regarding it, please feel free to contact me at gurlwannabe@yaho0.com

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home