I am scared shitless right now. I'm on the verge of doing things no woman in my family has ever done. I'm in the process of developing a little consulting firm for myself. Alot of work, but no wage slavery, no office politics, no pecking orders to try to jam myself into, no gossipy co-workers to worry about, no boss's ego to assuage...I'm also on the verge of completing an article that just may get published. In a real magazine. On glossy paper. Not a 'zine or a lit mag or the 'net. Real. with, possibly, money.
These are things I've always wanted. And there are immense amounts of butterflies in my stomach and a bulldozer full of fear over my head, waiting to pour down and crush me.
I am doing everything I can to sabotage myself, including *not* make the telephone calls I need to, *not* speak to the people I need to, *not* email the links I said I was going to....and yet I want to do everything I can to beat those odds that say a fancy eductaion for a working-class girl is a waste of time...that say a middle-aged woman coming out of nowhere with nothing isn't going to get all that far and should just go back to the job she used to be.
I think I seek permission from some class-conscious status quo that says I've gained enough to merit the success, and that I don't need more school or the perfect relationship or to be 125 lbs. to be considered a success.
Inside is this eternal struggle--the fight between the Forces of Darkness (certain failure) and the Champions of Light (possible success).
There is comfort in failure. I can sit back and say "yeah, I screwed up again. Couldn't get the damned thing done on time. Good intentions, but poor follow thru. You know me. Affable loser."
Progress Reports from school always said "Has ability but shows poor application and effort."
What was the point to succeeding if your only appreciable measure of worth, the only one understood by your family, was whether or not you had a grandchild?
It's not just beating the social class odds. It's beating the family Devil.
These are things I've always wanted. And there are immense amounts of butterflies in my stomach and a bulldozer full of fear over my head, waiting to pour down and crush me.
I am doing everything I can to sabotage myself, including *not* make the telephone calls I need to, *not* speak to the people I need to, *not* email the links I said I was going to....and yet I want to do everything I can to beat those odds that say a fancy eductaion for a working-class girl is a waste of time...that say a middle-aged woman coming out of nowhere with nothing isn't going to get all that far and should just go back to the job she used to be.
I think I seek permission from some class-conscious status quo that says I've gained enough to merit the success, and that I don't need more school or the perfect relationship or to be 125 lbs. to be considered a success.
Inside is this eternal struggle--the fight between the Forces of Darkness (certain failure) and the Champions of Light (possible success).
There is comfort in failure. I can sit back and say "yeah, I screwed up again. Couldn't get the damned thing done on time. Good intentions, but poor follow thru. You know me. Affable loser."
Progress Reports from school always said "Has ability but shows poor application and effort."
What was the point to succeeding if your only appreciable measure of worth, the only one understood by your family, was whether or not you had a grandchild?
It's not just beating the social class odds. It's beating the family Devil.





7 Comments:
You can do this, Tish. Being scared is the price of accomplishing anything big. It's ok to be scared. Just do it anyhow. One email, one phone call at a time.
I was a freelancer for several years and it has it's ups and downs, especially the self-marketing part (which you're fighting with right now). But if this is really what you want to do, then just take a few deep breaths and jump in! Good luck!
P.S. I'm adding you to my blog list--I loved your comment about Johnny Depp on mine!
Forget family, we'll cheer you on to victory! I know you've got courage in there with all the fear, tune in to that. I have similar family issues, I can relate. It's hard to break the tribal mold but I know you can do it. Every little task accomplished, phone call made or whatever it is, gets you one step closer to where you want to be.
Do it! Just fight the urge to sabotage yourself. Do whatever you need to do to keep on track! I'm going through a similar emotional state right now too. Just keep with it. How's this. If you DON'T do it, I'll e-mail you annoying mails full of singing dancing hamsters every hour on the hour until you do? Incentive enough? ;)
OH NO! NOT THE SINGING, DANCING HAMSTERS!! (nightmares from college days...)
But seriously...
You are all an amazing, great group of women...I just want y'all to know that.
It really is a one foot in front of the other thing. I put some energy into the film festival blog I'm working on, and that's helped with the other stuff I have to do..eating right toning down the sugar, hopefully, will help too.
Shalom Tish,
Yeah, fear sucks. Accomplishing something can suck even more because all of a sudden we don't have our convenient excuses.
Like Terry says, screw the big picture. Make one phone call, answer one email. Write one sentence.
For now, do one thing.
B'shalom,
Jeff
Thank you, Jeff...
for now it's one cup of green tea to calm the nerves, and one phone call to Laurel Touby of Mediabistro for an interview...if she's in...
(deep breath)(heavy sigh)
:-)
T.
Post a Comment
<< Home